If you do A/B Split Testing without combining this with User Testing, you only locate the CRO (Conversion Rate Optimization) potential at the top of the iceberg:
When building or optimizing E-commerce stores, many companies make the mistake of basing their process on Quantitative data only — such as A/B Split Tests — where you test two different features, pages, etc. up against each other for a certain period.
However; by doing so, you may locate Where there are some issues, but you will never understand Why.
Or said in more frank words:
“You can spend your entire professional life doing A/B Split tests without ever locating a single Conversion Killer (an issue that keeps your customer from buying your products / services).
Or you can run a User Test and in 1 day locate 5-10 Conversion Killers + 20 to 80 other serious conversion issues”.
You must understand What your customers do and Why they do or do not do it in order to create vast business results.
And you must work with Quantitative and Qualitative Data in the correct order.
This is why I base my CRO process on these 8 steps:
- I user-test your current E-commerce store
- I prioritize the 30 to 100 Conversion issues we locate
- I locate Qualitative and Quantitative data clusters
- I improve your E-commerce store (prototyping, design, etc.)
- I user test the improved store before launching it
- I fix final issues located in the user test
- I quality assure and launch your optimized E-commerce store
- I run A/B Split Tests (if needed).
I have been basing my CRO work on this process for 19 years now and it works every time we follow along all steps in the process.
If you do A/B Split Testing only, you are simply scratching the surface, however, you are not diving deep into the real CRO issues.